Head of Artificial Intelligence
Recognised as one of the fastest growing startups in the UK by TechNation, one of the eleven UK startups to watch in Sifted and listed as a Deloitte UK Technology Fast 50 winner, Definely is a company that is transforming the $600bn global legal services market.
Our customers include some of the world’s top law firms, financial institutions and multinational corporations such as Allen & Overy, Dentons and Deloitte. We are also backed by a number of prominent investors and VCs, including Microsoft, Google for Startups, CRE VC and former dragon, Nick Jenkins.
Working with us
Given that we spend a good portion of our time at our place of work, we are firm believers that everyone should enjoy what they’re doing and who they work with. We operate a transparent workplace culture, where every person has input at every stage and level of strategic decision-making and is a valued member of the team (we promise we are not just saying that)!
We look for natural self-starters who are curious, adaptive, resilient, apply deep logic to their thinking and, most importantly, learn from every mistake!
As the Head of Artificial Intelligence, you will play a crucial role in shaping and executing the AI strategy at Definely. Your key responsibilities include:
Strategy Setting and Execution
- Craft and execute a robust AI strategy in alignment with overall business objectives and communicate outcomes effectively.
- Lead the design, development, and rollout of new AI products to market, catering to both small and large-scale enterprise customers.
- Build a high-performing AI team capable of delivering cutting-edge solutions.
- Lead and mentor a group of AI engineers, fostering innovation, collaboration, and professional development.
- Ensure ethical AI applications in compliance with legal and industry standards.
- Demonstrate a proven track record in research, design, and development of AI solutions from POC to production.
- Utilize strong programming background and leadership experience to oversee AI solution design, development, and deployment ensuring quality and scalability.
- Hands-on experience with Retrieval Augmented Generation (RAG) and Language Model Models (LLMs), including prompting, vector databases, and fine-tuning with open source and licensed models.
- Implement AI innovations across various products and services.
- Drive the commercial success of AI products, ensuring successful adoption by customers.
Beyond your hands-on experience and leadership qualities, you will need solid commercial understanding and experience being part of pitching and selling projects, by doing validation, estimations, and communicating technical solutions. The ideal candidate will be able to ideate beyond the initial client directive in a way that helps drive effective decision making for the client.
- 6+ years of experience in data science, machine learning, or related fields, with a proven track record of delivering innovative and impactful AI solutions and products in a fast-paced, agile environment through the entire lifecycle from POC to production including research, design, development and deployment (MLOps).
- 4+ years of experience in a leadership role, setting and executing AI strategies.
- Strong Python programming skills and familiarity with software development methodologies and CI/CD practices.
- Enjoys getting involved in coding assignments and conducting on-going code reviews.
- Extensive experience in developing AI/machine learning models and data modeling.
- Specialized experience with Large Language Models, including advanced use cases like RAG and fine-tuning.
- In-depth knowledge of machine learning algorithms, frameworks, and tools (e.g., Langchain, TensorFlow, PyTorch).
- Familiarity with prompt generation techniques and algorithms.
- Proficient in cloud services and providers (GPT, Hugging Face, AWS, Azure).
- Holds an advanced degree (Master's/Ph.D.) in Computer Science, Machine Learning, or related field.
- Technical thinker with proactive, enthusiastic, and client-focused approach at the project level.
- Strong problem-solving, analytical, and project management skills.
- Exceptional communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to work effectively across multidisciplinary teams.
- Entrepreneurial mindset with a passion for driving innovation in legal tech.
What we offer
- An opportunity to be an integral part of a fast-growing startup as we move to scale-up
- Work in a truly meritocratic organisation, alongside highly motivated individuals
- A chance to work with some of the world’s leading law firms, financial institutions and multinational corporations
- Office in the heart of London’s bustling Aldgate with the option to do hybrid working
- Training and support
- Competitive compensation package
- 25 days holiday per year excluding UK bank holidays
- Flexible Working
Most importantly, if you’re someone with a can-do attitude who is willing to get their hands dirty to help us exceed our wildest expectations, then please do not hesitate to apply.
Definely is an equal opportunity employer.