Software Engineer, Full Stack (Healthcare)
Aster is developing the premier platform for clinicians, focussed on women’s health providers. Today, the U.S. has some of the worst records on maternal health and women’s health broadly. One defining statistic is that 80% of all pregnancy-related complications are completely avoidable. Whilst there has been developments in this space through healthcare technology and medical advancements, there is a clear and growing movement amongst clinicians, patients, and researchers who recognize the need for improvement at the ground level, where care is being delivered today.
Aster is an early-stage company located in the San Francisco Bay Area. It’s founded by a team of clinicians, designers, and engineers who have an incredible founder-fit to solve this problem, alongside a personal connection to the problem. Our co-founders are Fifi, Lailah, and Andrew. Fifi Kara is a 2x founder, YC alum, and Fulbright Scholar who most recently supported Meta’s Health & Fitness team in the AR division; she holds a Bachelor’s degree in Social Policy & Government from the London School of Economics. Dr. Lailah Kara-Newton is a trained physician who earned her MBBS degree from Barts and The London School of Medicine; she also holds a Bachelor's degree in Global Public Health. Dr. Lailah has practiced medicine for 7+ years with a focus on Obstetrics and gynecology; she also conducted research in conjunction with the World Health Organization and the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists on the topic of antenatal testing in resource-poor communities and the impact of loss and stillbirth. Andrew was most recently a Design lead at Meta, focussed on Health and fitness, and has over 15+ years of experience in health technology, ranging from early roles at Mindstrong, Vave Health, BioRender, and Amgen, where he would lead on design & front-end engineering. He’s a published medical researcher with a degree in psychobiology and immunology from UCLA.
We seek an experienced Software Engineer with a strong full-stack development background in healthcare technology. The ideal candidate should have a proven track record of designing and building healthcare applications like EHR platforms or similar services.
What We’re Looking For
- Technical leadership: Provide technical leadership and guidance to a small cross-functional team of engineers, designers, and clinicians, as well as collaborate closely with the CEO & CPO to define technical requirements, objections, and priorities.
- Full Stack Development: Contribute to the design, development, and maintenance of healthcare technology services and applications, covering both front-end and back-end development alongside engineering colleagues.
- Mobile development: Having experience creating cross-platform mobile applications.
- Healthcare domain expertise: Utilize or understand knowledge around healthcare regulations, compliance, and industry standards to ensure the development of HIPAA-compliant applications for patients and providers.
- Architecture and Scalability: Design and implement scalable, resilient, high-performance architecture for healthcare applications. Optimize applications for performance and scalability to handle increasing user loads and data volumes.
- Quality Assurance: Implement best testing practices, including automated testing and continuous integration/deployment (CI/CD) pipelines.
- Documentation and Compliance: Maintain comprehensive code, architecture, and process documentation. Ensure compliance with relevant healthcare regulations, data protection laws, and industry standards.
- AWS CDK, SST
- AWS Aurora PostgreSQL
- React Native or Flutter
- Go or Rust
- Gen AI, LLMs
- Local First Development
- Bachelor's or higher degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field.
- Proven experience (5 years) as a full-stack engineer with a strong background in healthcare technology applications.
- Demonstrated experience in designing and building scalable and secure applications.
- Knowledge of healthcare industry regulations, such as HIPAA, is a plus.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to work collaboratively in a team.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills.
What You’ll Get
- Generous founding team member equity package
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance
- New Macbook Pro
- Flexible work hours and generous PTO
- Visa support (we assess this on a case-by-case basis)
We are committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences, and we're taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, underrepresented people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
Learn more here: https://astercare.com/careers